Sunday, October 6, 2013

TEXAS VINTAGE RALLY or COME AND TAKE IT RALLY

...also called The Come and Take It Rally
Gonzales, TX
 
Look at us...my kind of folks!
 
Fred and Judy Hazen
Chairmen of the Event
 
My neighbors...a rodeo was going on right next to us.
These guys must bring their own flies with them...and they loved sharing them.
 
Music for breakfast...Paul Gulick on guitar and Ron Hampton on harmonica
 
Vannie and the 5K...Now, that's a story!

Come and Take It Parade...with flags
 
...and floats
 
and old cars/trucks
 
...and cowboys and horses
 
See the little short dude in the back row...that's Dave.
Loves to sing...First Methodist Church in Gonzales
 
Open House Sunday Afternoon...The hat is back!!!
 
Come and Take It...Come and Take What?...When V and D told me we were going to Gonzales, TX to the Come and Take It Rally (Texas Vintage Rally) I was confused.  I didn't grow up in Texas, so my Texas history is a little lacking.  Vannie tried telling me something about the Mexicans giving a canon to the Texans, and then they wanted it back.  The Texans actually buried the canon to keep the Mexicans from getting it.  The story goes on and on...but the bottom line is that the Mexicans didn't get it back.  Those Texans are a tough bunch.  Since I have a Texas address now, I think I am going to have to read up on Texas history. 
 
The rally was really top notch.  There were 93 airstreams..a nice mixture of vintage and new.  I love the way they use that word "vintage" instead of such plain decrepit.  Fred and Judy Hazen chaired the event.  They are members of the Texas Highland Lakes Unit.  My vents go up for the Hazen's and their committee members.  Great Job!

A rodeo was going on right next to us.  Oh, the aroma of cows and horses and sweaty cowboys was .......goodness, I just can't think of the word.  But I'm sure most of you know what I mean.

One morning when I woke up, I could hear waves of music coming from the breakfast area.  It was so soothing early in the morning.  The sky had a pink glow making my silver body glisten.   There was a  breeze sweeping over me.  I could feel myself really starting to wind down.  I could get used to this..harmonica and guitar just doing their thing.

OK...Vannie and Dave have been doing the C25K deal three mornings a week.  They are on week 7 out of 8.  It is an app on their phone that guides them from the couch to running in a 5K.  Well, Dave read in the Gonzales paper about this 5K that was happening Saturday morning. Vannie decided she was ready to give that a try.  They headed out early to sign up.  Dave decided he was not ready.  It happened, and the story they told when they returned was a hoot.  Vannie came in sporting this big bronze metal with a big smile on her face. To make a long story short...Vannie came in dead last, but because there were only 3 people in her age category, she won 3rd place. 

After they rested up from the race, they roared off the see the Come and Take It parade.  According to them, it was a perfect small town parade...flags, floats, bands, horses, old cars, Shriners, and more. Vannie said it was one of the longest parades she had ever witnessed.  But everyone was having a great time...and they did, too.  They made some new friends...Stephanie Sobolik and Julie Jordan from Austin.I can see dinner in their future. Hope they include me.

Vannie met a really nice couple at the water station during the 5K.  They invited her to church...guess they through she needed a little "praying for" after that race. Anyway, Dave LOVES to sing, and he'll sing in any choir that will take him...so Sunday morning they went to the First Methodist Church in downtown Gonzales, and Dave sang.  Super nice people and some of them even showed up at our Open House on Sunday afternoon.  Open House with the airstream bunch is always fun.  So many people coming in and out...Vannie with her lampshade hat and Dave telling about their adventures...and me in all my glory...what's not to love!

A Great Rally...

3 comments:

  1. I hope much the same greatest conduct obtained by individuals within the probable in addition.

    FLAG DESIGNER
    STRING FLAGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to look up where Gonzales is--thought that was in LA! KEEP putting one foot in front of the other---I am SLOW--BUT ALL forward motion counts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to visit the V-rally. Loved it! someday I am going to have an airstream and travel. I love the Texas Highland Lakes Unit. I consider them family! Everyone was so nice. I loved Vannie's trailer! I could go on and on....

    ReplyDelete