Monday, May 12, 2014

PLAN B


My mama (God rest her silver soul) always said to have a “Plan B”.  “Plan B” presented itself on Interstate 10 about six miles east of Jennings, LA this past Saturday.  Vannie, Dave, and I had headed out of Lafayette Saturday morning on our way to Hillsboro, TX.  This was going to be our first stop on our way to our destination of Red River, NM.  Vannie was driving, Dave was napping, and I was feeling good.  Dave had just put 2 new tires on me and had done some other much needed repairs while we were in Lafayette.

 All of a sudden, I felt a little tickle on the driver’s side.  Low and behold, one of the new tires, wheel, and lugs flew up into the air, spun around, and flew behind me to wherever speeding tires go.  Vannie saw it happening in a spilt second out of her side mirror.  I gritted by teeth (if I had some), hunkered down and stayed steady.  I do have a double axel, so there was still one tire on the driver’s side.  Vannie was cool as a cucumber.  She slowly pulled me over to the shoulder.  She and Dave just sat there a minute letting what just happen soak in.  Then they started thanking Jesus for the total safety he provided to us and anyone else driving on the interstate at that time.  Dave got out and this is what he saw…it was a big old nub on one side. 
 
He looked for the tire/wheel, but could not see hide nor hair of it.  It was like it vanished into thin air. (V and D even went back later in the day and looked and looked…to no avail.)

Dave started making some telephone calls

·        THE LORD…FIRST …V and D have a direct line through prayer.

·        Our AARP roadside assistance…discovered it covers the truck, but not me

·        Ross Tire’s in Lafayette (D and V have used them for many years…great people) Dave had just bought the 2 new tires from them.  They had not put the tires on…Dave had.  They gave us a number for a wrecker to pull me back to them. Dave know going all the way back to Lafayette would be costly.

·        Jay Keef (Airstream buddy in Lafayette)…He suggested we get in touch with Lynn and Joyce Conner in Jennings (more Airstream friends). 

·        Lynn and Joyce Conner…”The Rescuers” in a true sense of the word! They provided us a place to hook up at their house, fed V and D, calmed us down, took V and D to church on Sunday, toured them around the area, put them in touch with their nephew that had a wrecker service.  He knew who could fix me, AND he had a wheel he would GIVE us.  They put me under a covered space…so nice and shady.  Their neighbor had a crowing rooster and little blind dog that I befriended.  They told me all kinds of things about Jennings.  Interesting place!
Can you see me...all snug as a bug in a rug?
 
Our Lady Help of Christian Catholic Church
 
 
V and D by the Mermentau River...this was part of the impromptu tour after church on Sunday.   
 
Doesn't this look like a big spider..scared the wad out of me when I saw this pic...a big tree had split open.  This was taken in Port Arthur, LA
 
Hidden picture...find the baby!
 
Dave is torking the lug nuts...Sounds like something Miley Cyrus does...yuck!  Anyway, that's what he didn't do to the one that flew off...Now he knows!
 
Dave and the Conner's..Our Rescuers
 
 
Hooking up ready to "hit the road"...AGAIN!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Careful what you ask for. When you were writing about Writer's Block---did you have any notion---this would all happen--so you could write about it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found good folks to help. Scary story and one we all fear. Hugs to you both and prayers for smooth sailing ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete