Monday, July 28, 2014

ANCIANOS HACER SENDERISMO, EL BINGO, LES CEREZAS

By
Gypsy Rhapsody
 
There I go again...lapsing into my native tongue (not my native tongue at all, but I just like to say that it is...especially here in New Mexico).  If you can't figure it out...just Google it.  That's what I did...Google Translate is so much fun!  Vannie says I spend way too much time on the computer, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.
 
Vannie and Dave have been in and out this week with work and play.  They will come home dead dog tired, and then in 24 hours they are up and going again.


The hike for this week was to Greenie Peak.  V and D left me early one morning and said they were heading down Road 134 out of Questa to Midnight Meadows...if anyone came by to give them the message.  Sure...now how am I going to do that.  I can think it, but I have a hard time saying it out loud.  The pictures they brought back are wonderful.

D said that the road to Greenie Peak is made up mostly of rock, dirt, and gravel.  There are numerous mud puddles along the way.  According the Vannie, the walk was kind of steep in places.  She said not nearly as steep as the "The Big Q" hike a couple of weeks ago.  She was thankful!
 

When I saw this photo, I could almost hear a little jiggle.  These are called Rocky Mountain penstemon.  I think I might rename them...Rocky Mountain Jiggle Bells.  Don't you just love how they are growing right out of the rocks!

Blue sky, Aspens, Firs, Clear Cool Air, Quiet...
My kind of place!

Here's proof that they made it to the top...11,200 feet above sea level.
I bet there was some huffin' and puffin' going on...maybe even gasping!  LOL

V said that Greenie Peak is north of Red River.  You can actually see the Red River ski area in the bottom left of this picture.

It is in the Carson National Forest in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Those layers of blue...so beautiful...!!!

This is near the Midnight Meadows area.  Vannie said that they saw some cows and a chipmunk or two and some butterflies.

After they recovered from their hike, they visited some new friends in Questa...Bob and Jo Lovelady.  When I heard they were visiting some Lovelady's, I just knew they had to be related to Vannie's cousin, Janet Lovelady.  You just don't hear that last name often.  V said that they had not found a connection YET, but she felt like sooner or later one is going to pop up.
 
Jo has a cherry tree and invited us to pick.  Here is Dave picking away.

The birds had picked first, but there were still enough for a mess.


There they are...just sitting there on my counter...all washed and ready to make into jam.

...but first Vannie had to pit the suckers.  The experts on Goggle said to stick a toothpick in one end of the cherry and push.  Wow...there goes the pit.  Kind of a lengthy process!

The smell...The smell...yum!

Finished product...D is such a jam and jelly kind of guy.  He LOVES cherry jam on his toast in the morning for breakfast...or for dessert after lunch...or for a snack after naptime.  At this rate these 3 little containers are not going to last long.
 

WHAT...BINGO?  I thought that was for "old" people.  The Senior Citizen Place or Anciano, Inc. on Embargo Road in Questa serves lunch Monday through Friday at a cost of $1.50.  These two tightwads have started going on their days off.  Well, on Thursday everyone plays bingo after lunch.  Oh my goodness...this is too much.
 
Would you look at this...!!!!  Dave volunteered to be the bingo caller.  Vannie said he got into it like water off a duck's back.  He was "on stage".  Some of his calls..."B4, not after but B4"..."B12, like the vitamin, B12" ...
 
Remember to take your B12 and don't eat too much B4 you go to bed and B1 of the best you can B!
I think I could get into this "bingo thing".
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Would LOVE to make some of those beautiful hikes. Send you an email later today about the hop. Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete