Friday, September 29, 2017

HOT WAX...ART...SHALAWALLA...

By
Gypsy Rhapsody
(a 1977 Airstream that learns something new everyday)

Hot Wax...
Art...
Shalawalla...
LaVeta, CO...
Batik...

Just one more blog from NM (even though Vannie and Dave are
nestled in their favorite spot in Louisiana)
More about that later...

When I saw the pictures, I said to myself I had to
write about V and D's experience with Beth and Jonathan
at the Shalawalla Gallery in LaVeta, CO.

Batik Lessons...
For those of you that have never heard of this or even thought about it,
I'll give you a quick synopsis of the batik process.

Batik is a technique of wax-resist dyeing applied to cloth.
There are several methods to accomplish this task.
V and D drew their designs on the cloth with a pencil.
Then they traced the lines with the canting that was dipped in the hot wax.
A canting is a tool with a spout that allows the artist to apply the wax in a straight line.

The lesson was an all day affair.
Lots of steps...
A little whining at times by someone near and dear to my heart...
Vannie said she would not mention any names, but it started with a "D". 

I love their shop...notice that part of it is made out of an old train car.

Tools of the Trade...

Step by Step...
Focus...

Concentrate...

How could you not have a great time 
with a setting like this one...

Vannie said that no matter which way you looked...it was beautiful.

Out the windows...

Through the door...
Oven the doggie...

Under the clothesline...

Standing in the breeze...

Jonathan...

...and Beth were awesome teachers...so patient.

The dyeing part was little messy...

...but so worth it...

Sometimes we used brushes...

...and sometimes we used the canting
to apply the hot wax.


Beth was getting ready to complete the last step...
putting our creations in the boiling water to remove the wax...
and...
hopefully, magic would happen.

...and it did.!!!

...and it did, again.!!!

V and D shouts out a huge "thank you, Beth and Jonathan.".
If you are ever close to LaVeta, look them up.
It will be worth your time.

D and V stayed overnight at the Circle the Wagon Campground.
Fun little campers for rent...or you could bring your own.
Dave said that it was just too much trouble to unhook me
and haul me over there.
Fine by me...I always love a little "me" time...

Heading back to Questa
after a wonderful adventure in La Veta.

Minnie G will be taking over the blog
while the kids are in Louisiana.
I'll be resting up in Hillsboro, TX
with all my Airstream buddies.

Later.!!!







1 comment: