Sunday, June 15, 2014

VAL-DER-RI, VAL-DER-RA

By
Gypsy Rhapsody
 
I just feel like singing...so here goes.
 
Val-der-ri, Val-der-ra
Val-der-ri, Val-der-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-
Val-der-ri-, Val-der-ra
 
I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track
And as I go, I love to sing
My knapsack on my back


Just look at Cousin Kathryn...came down all the way from Crestone, CO just to see me.
Well, I guess she was pretty glad to see Vannie and Dave, too...but when she saw me (in real life), she was all a-dither! This group shot with the 3 of us is so special.

V and D's hike #1 of  the week...Cabresto Lake Trail

V says those logs across the trails are great for a quick rest!

Green trees, green weeds, green bushes, green shirt...dang Dave...you are just too coordinated.
 
More singing...
 
I love to wander by the stream
that dances in the sun
So joyously it calls to me
Come join my happy song.
 
(Kathryn said that it was a holy ritual to put your bare feet in a mountain stream in New Mexico...sooooo off with the socks and shoes and splish splash.  V said it was so cold that your feet were numb in seconds...but it was so worth it...and what a blessing.)

Hike #2...Questa Cemetery
 
Look really close...do you see me?  Vannie was taking this pic from the cemetery looking down.  You can just see me peeking out from behind the tree. 

Dave said this road was behind the cemetery...so they decided to check it out.

V said it kept getting steeper and steeper and rockier and rockier.

Modern day petroglyphs ... happened sometime after spray paint was invented.

Looky there...Seniors '14 left their mark on the mountain. V and D said they remembered doing crazy things like that.  ...not on a mountain, of course...being from Bernice and Farmerville...maybe the fire tower or water tank...LOL

There's the town of Questa far below...and that mountain is where the next hike will be.

Awwww....a shadow selfie!  Too Cute!
 
Hike #3...Las Vistas de Questa Trail
 
...more singing
 
I wave my hat to all I meet
And they wave back to me
And blackbirds call so loud and clear
From every greenwood tree

V and D are heading toward that little hump...V said it wasn't that little.  They walked for about a mile through the sage brush...then headed up the trail among the pinion trees to the top.

Look at that view...Wow...sure wish I could get my big self up there.  Not happening!  Although, when I think about it...those wagon train people would just strike out...so I guess I shouldn't say "never".

I'm going to let Vannie sing the last verse.  Listen carefully, she is already going at it!
 
Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die
And may I always laugh and sing
Beneath God's clear blue sky!
 
(3 hikes in one week...plus their jobs in-between...a couple of tough cookies)
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment: