Thursday, August 1, 2013

GYPSY DANCES UNDER THE MAPLE LEAF



The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear


City park in Fort Francis, Ontario...dancing under the Maple Leaf
 
Out my bathroom window...I'm singing now!
 
Checkpoint Charlie!  The scene of the crime...or, almost crime!
 
Tea, anyone!
 
The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,

The Maple Leaf forever

God save our Queen and Heaven bless

The Maple Leaf forever

I feel pretty

Oh, so pretty

I feel pretty and witty and bright

I can’t stop dancing and singing right under the big red and white Canadian flag with the big red maple leaf.  We have been at the city park in Fort Francis, Ontario, Canada for 2 days.  It is a little town just across the border from International Falls, MN.  Of course, I’m feelin’ good today…but yesterday…a little nervous.

When we pulled up to the border, Dave handed the guard his and Vannie’s passports.  The guard looked at him over the tops of his glasses and said, “I’m sure you are working on renewing these.”  Dave looked back with a blank expression.  The guard motioned for us to go on through.  Dave looked at Vannie and said, “What did he say? Renew…what did he mean by that?”  Vannie looked at the passports and discovered that their passports expired in January of this year.  How could that happen?  Then the guard asked Dave if he had any guns, mace, etc.  The answer was “No, Sir."

OK…Now came the search…This time there were two guards.  They asked us to pull off to the side.  They repeated the same question as the first guard.  A light came on in Dave’s head.  He remembered the mace that was hanging on a keychain right inside me by the door.  Oops…forgot!  He told the guard, thank goodness.  The guard said if he had not told him, and he had found it during the search, there could have been a $500 fine and possible jail.  Ouch!!!!  The two guards searched the truck and me from top to bottom.  I felt a little violated, but, of course, I kept my mouth shut.  I thought we were already in hot water.  When the search was complete, we passed and were sent on our way with broad smiles.  All in all, the Canadians were very nice, considering V and D had not done their homework about crossing borders.  Just hope they let us back in the USA with those expired passports.  LOL

Today Vannie was reading the local newspaper and discovered that the Fort Francis museum was having tea and scones at 1:00 pm.  There would be an author attending the event. She would be signing her new book about a pioneer woman.  Vannie couldn’t let this go by, so off she went to have tea and scones with the ladies.  The museum was small but delightful.  The tables were set, and the scones were made, and the tea was brewing.  She sat with a little lady that was very hard of hearing, but they both enjoyed the event and each other’s company.  Afterwards they toured the museum’s special exhibit of bone china.

Tomorrow I will dance and sing my way to Thunder Bay.  More new adventures!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Only the two of you would get into trouble crossing into Canada. I have loved your postcards. Please keep sending them.

    ReplyDelete