Tuesday, June 18, 2013

REMINDS ME OF WILD HICKORY NUTS

campsite in Gothenburg, Nebraska
 
Hello, World...What's next?...
 
Dandelions???
 
Oh, No...dandelion leaves for supper...Are we on a budget???
 
Beautiful rolling hills, green meadows, hay bales
 
Lots of coal cars...I noticed that the tracks were so well kept...can you see me in the rearview mirror!!!
 
Train tracks and cow tracks
 
My spot in Hot Springs, SD at the KOA...Do you see the wee Airstream next to me.  So cute!
 
Who remembers that guy in the 60's named Euell Gibbons.  He was a proponent of natural diets.  The makers of Grape Nuts Cereal hired him to do commercials.  He would say on the commercial that Grape Nuts "reminds me of wild hickory nuts."  Well, when we pulled up to our site in Gothenburg, Nebraska, and there were wild dandelions all over the place, Vannie got to quivering.  She had just read an article in her Oprah magazine about edible weeds.  She could hardly wait to get out my door and start picking.  She did not tell Dave about the secret ingredient until after he took the first bite of her concoction.  She had sautéed a little onion, some garlic, olive oil, leftover carrots, salt/pepper and the dandelion leaves.  When that was cooked down, she added an egg and created an omelet.  She then put the dandelion omelet in a whole wheat tortilla and wrapped it up.  Dave couldn't stop raving about it.  Then she told him what it was.  He couldn't believe it...and it helped him stay regular for a long time!!!  It wasn't "wild hickory nuts", but the dandelions did the trick!
 
Today we traveled through Nebraska...lots of rolling green hills, cows, trains, small towns, no traffic, blue skies, farmers, tractors...There is nothing I like better than to be out in the wide open spaces rolling down the road.  There is a peace and freedom that is unsurpassed!  We arrived at the KOA in Hot Springs, SD around 3:00 (mountain time).  There were two Airstreams already here.  They were older than me, if you can believe that.  We got set up and enjoyed visiting with them.  More will be coming in tomorrow.  There is a cute couple parked by us from England.  They rented a camper after they flew over and are touring the States.  It was fun talking with them and hearing about their adventures.
 
Tomorrow about a dozen Airstreams will be here for the caravan.  The Airstreams will hang at the park while their owners doing some touring, etc.  I can't wait to compare notes with the other Vintage Campers.  I'm sure they will have stories to tell...I know I have some to share...I wonder if they have ever eaten a dandelion leaf wrap.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Gypsy, your Mom is amazingly smart...I bet Lucia Black would have known about the dandelions. She loved her some poke salad back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Julia, That Miss Lucia was something else. I had forgotten about the poke salad. Mostly I remember her painting her fingernails during class. LOL

    ReplyDelete