Thursday, October 4, 2012

FUN WITH OLD FRIENDS


Guy is at the top, then Dave, Vannie, LaRinda and John on the side

Now, is the funniest thing...Dave trying to go up and Guy trying to come down...Bernice and Farmerville still trying to be first.
 

Santo Nino Chapel in Chimayo

The shoes dedicated to the Christ Child

El Santuario de Chimayo...The church with the Holy Dirt

Chimayo had a great restaurant.
 
Ah-h-h...finally everyone comes home to be...
 


          Yep, fun with old friends...there’s nothing better.  Vannie and Dave had a blast with Guy Wesley Cagle and his wife, LaRinda and their friend, John.  Guy Wesley and Vannie were neighbors in Bernice many moons ago.  I heard some pretty hilarious stories about the two of them. 

          Guy, LaRinda, and John were vacationing in Santa Fe, so V and D brought me down to Espanola to the Cottonwood RV Campground.  I loved the place.  It was right next to a big apple orchard.  Vannie even squeezed through the barb-wire fence and picked about a bushel of apples.  She made the yummiest smelling applesauce, too.  Well, anyway, I stayed around the campsite and visited with the cutest little Scamp camper parked right beside me.  We hit it off right away, so when V and D said they were heading out for an adventure, I said...”Bye, Bye...Take your time...Have Fun...Tell me about it when you get back.”

          So off they went...and upon their return, they were talking a mile a minute...lots of fun stuff...

          First they met Guy, LaRinda, and John in White Rock (about 30 minutes from here).  From there, they took a shuttle to Bandelier National Monument.  This was in the Frijoles Canyon.  Vannie and Dave had thought about taking me up there, but after they checked it out, they said, “No Way”.

Gypsy is staying put in Espanola...and I said, “Thank the Lord.”  Bandelier was the home of Ancestral Pueblo People.  They carved their homes from the volcanic rock called tuff. When I saw the pictures, I was amazed.  After they left Bandelier, they headed to Los Alamos.  The atomic bomb for World War II was made there.  Wowzer!  They went to a museum.  V and D said that Los Alamos was different than most New Mexico towns.  It is actually built on 4 mesas...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...I would love to see it, but not enough to drive up those winding mountain roads to get there. Just will have to be satisfied with the stories.

          The next day the whole group met in Chimayo, NM.  Tiny little town about 10 miles from Espanola.  Vannie said that there is a church there called El Santuario de Chimayo that has Holy Dirt...you heard me...Holy Dirt.  It is considered to be the Lourdes of America.  Anyway, V and D got a little sack of the dirt...you just never know when you might need some Holy Dirt.  Another chapel nearby was called Santo Nino Chapel.  It had rooms with children’s shoes donated to the Christ child. 

          Guy, LaRinda, and John came by to see me after visiting Chimayo.  I was so happy to meet them.  They thought I was adorable, of course.  Now, I’m not bragging, but “when ya got it...ya got it”!...

2 comments:

  1. Is that Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant? We love that place! And we love following you two and Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Grace...that is Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant. DELICIOUS FOOD!...and out in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete