Friday, September 7, 2012

SANDIA (watermelon in Spanish) MOUNTAIN


Vannie was trying to fix the camera to take a delayed shot.

notice the path up ahead in the distance...
 
 
from the window of the stone cabin
 

SANDIA (watermelon in Spanish) MOUNTAIN

   David told me he didn’t even like watermelon and there he goes climbing one.  Tuesday I had a doctor’s appointment in Albuquerque.  My axels were sagging and needed to be checked.  I heard Vannie say she had a bunch of stuff sagging, but she was going to ignore it right now.  My back was hurting and I just have not been sleeping well, so D and V decided it was time for a checkup.

            The axel doctor said to leave me with him all day and he would give me a thorough  examination.  I was nervous, but he promised he would be gentle.  New doctors just give me the hebee jebees.  I told Vannie and Dave to go on…I would be fine, so they took me up on my offer and headed out on an adventure. 

            They headed for a tram ride up Sandia Mountain.  When they got to the ticket booth, the guide said the tram was closed for repairs…but they could drive their truck almost to the top and then hike up the rest of the way.  They loved that idea, so off they went.  The hike proved to be a little more adventurous than they had expected, but was just the thing they needed after being on the road for so many days.  Albert squirrels, woodpeckers, buntings, crickets were some of the animals they saw.  As for wild flowers…there were Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Scarlet Paintbrush, Mountain Parsley, Harebell, Hairy Golden Aster.  Vannie said she didn’t automatically know the names of these flowers.  There was a big sign at the beginning of the trail telling all about the wildlife (plants and animals).  At the top of the mountain was a small stone cabin that had been built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) in 1936.  V and D had brought a picnic lunch, so that was the perfect spot to chow down.  Just a great day for V and D…unlike my boring day at the doctors.

            Dave and Vannie came to pick me up at 3:00.  I had been checked over from ass to izzard (that’s an old saying from Vannie’s mom).  I do need new axels, but the doc said that he would order them and D and V can bring me back in October.  Sounded good to me…I was ready to hit the road.  Questa, NM is our next stop and I knew that I was going to get to stay there for about a month.  Hallelujah!  I need a little peace and quiet and cool mountain air. 

            Talk later!

No comments:

Post a Comment